Tuesday 22 January 2013

A Love Poem


I
My Dear One,

I come before you not as a beggar, to plead for your favour,

But as a wealthy man who, though born with very little, worked tirelessly to cultivate his riches, 
if only to know the pleasure of sharing that which he had never known.

My treasures, of course, are not material in nature, 
but they are as true, and more valuable, in my humble estimation, 
than those material things.

II
My own,

I offer you my virtue,
I offer you my strength, and even in doing so my vulnerability, 
(a small part of my courage, which you are also entitled to the entirety of.)
I offer you my honour, and also my desire.

I offer you all the kindness, warmth, 
and empathy of a heart that beats only to know love and to love.

I offer you that love, and that heart, 
with passion, and all the tenacity you have seen me show.

I offer you, of myself, all that I have to give,
In all my worthiness, and all my shortcoming,
And pledge to bring with it all the excitement and creativity 
which you have expressed your appreciation for so far.

III
You may not always find such qualities easy to come by,
And where they are found, offered with so little reservation,

But please do not be intimidated if I seem unreasonably brazen,

I credit this fact, 
that all you have to bring will always be shown to have at least as great a value as the eye that cares to look is keen, and never any less. 
(And as you are aware, I have regarded you with rather a keen eye ;) )

Wherefore? But on the account that there is so much to look to! 

In my sight, it would appear we have much to offer one another.

IV
What I ask of you in this respect, 
Is not to give, but only to share 
with me that which you already have in abundance,

Your own passion,
Your integrity,
Your sentiments and feelings,
                Opinions and insights,
                Thoughts and emotions,
Your curiosity, and sense of humour,
Your tenderness, and also your fortitude,
As much honesty as you can muster, 
                as and when you are ready to offer it,
All those qualities you have long since known I love and admire in you,
And adore you for.

To give of yourself, as and when is pleases you,
Whatsoever it pleases you to give,
In whatever measure it pleases you to give it,
And show me who you are,
In all your worthiness, and all your shortcoming.

V
Should you be willing to attempt this exchange,
As you know I am most certain that you should,
I will not give you reason to regret it,
Not for a single day,
Not even for a moment if I can help it,

Do not reject such a ‘wholesome’ offer lightly,
Such opportunities are rare to find, and rarer still are they ever realised,

Let us inspire ourselves with what could be possible,

Forever at your service,
Forever in your awe,

With love, and the deepest of affection,

Antoine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment